Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Fred Arndt Identified

In a previous blog entry, I profiled Whiting Ciesars player Fred Arndt, of whom I had only a few hints but no positive ID. Yesterday I was able to confirm who he was. See the link to his updated page

While searching for another player, I found an article that mentioned Arndt playing for the Hammond Optimists. This little clue gave me the incentive to dig deeper. From the Hammond Times, June 12, 1939, I found a wedding announcement for the afore-mentioned Mary Ellen Bussell and Fred. The article refers to the bridegroom as being "known for his athletic ability" at Hammond High School and he went to Purdue. At the time of the marriage, he was working at Inland Steel. This essentially confirms that we have the correct Fred Arndt.


Fred Arndt 
1917-2002

No comments:

Post a Comment