Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Bill Sumerix (Hammond) Identified, aka Bill Summers

One of my better finds, if I do say so myself!

It turns out that the guy listed as "Bill Summers" is actually "Bill Sumerix."

Played one game with Hammond. His name was previously listed as Bill Summers, but the boxscore of the game from the Akron Beacon Journal indicated it was actually Sumerix and he had been a well-known basketball player around the Akron area for many years. The trail was a little hard to follow, but I was able to piece together a little bit of his playing career, and eventually found his parents, Clyde and Lillie. Clyde was a notable bowler in the area, too. A little more poking and I found where he worked, and a birth announcement for his daughter. His wife, Bernice, died in 1990, and her obituary said Bill was deceased. His father's obituary said he was alive, putting him as dying between 1971 and 1990. Plus, his dad's obituary also said he was living in Jenkinstown, Pennsylvania. Back to ancestry, where I got a full identity.
Bill Sumerix
1912-1978


No comments:

Post a Comment